Saturday 27 June 2009

Thanks a load to those lovely Japanese Popstar fellas for sending us this spanking new chart. Cheers lads

  1. The Japanese Popstars "We Just Are (Finalizer)" [Gung-Ho! Recordings]
  2. Sydney Samson - "Riverside" [White]
  3. NuFrequency "Passage Of Time (Freeform Five Mix)" [Rebirth]
  4. The Japanese Popstars "F19b (Droppin' Bombs)" [Gung-Ho! Recordings]
  5. Depeche Mode "Peace (The Japanese Popstars Mix)" [Mute]
  6. Loco & Jam "Medusa" [Rekluse]
  7. The Japanese Popstars "Face Melter" [Gung-Ho! Recordings]
  8. Brodinski 'Oblivion' [Turbo]
  9. Beyonce "Single Ladies (The Japanese Popstars Mix)" [RCA]
  10. Dance Area "AA 247 (Original Mix)" [Phantasy Sound]
  11. Tom Madicott "Ravor" [Gung-Ho Recordings]
  12. Zoo Brazil "Ten Inch Nails" [Gung-Ho! Recordings]
  13. The Japanese Popstars "The Rise Of Ulysses" [Gung-Ho! Recordings]
  14. Bertrand Dupart, Gwen "Lolita (Beatless Mix)" [Space Breaks]
  15. The Japanese Popstars "Catapult" [Gung-Ho! Recordings]
  16. Shinichi Osawa "Star Guitar (The Japanese Popstars Mix)" [Data]
  17. Ebony Bones "The Muzik (The Krays Mix)" [Sunday Best]
  18. A-Trak & Laidback Luke "Shake It Down"[Fools Gold]
  19. Fancy Beat "Funk In (Telespazio mix)" [Rebirth]
  20. Grand National "Cut By The Brakes (The Japanese Popstars Dub)" [Microrave]

-----------------------------------------------------

In the pub last night, talking music. Brother Stu put forward the notion that, if everyone stopped making music today, he would be happy with his back catalogue. He admitted that his knowledge of new music was getting increasingly limited, but didn't seem to be all that bothered.

For myself, it's all about the new. I have an obsession now with finding stuff that's totally fresh, that very few people have discovered. I trawl blogs and record label sites, like I used to pore through record shops, when there still were record shops. Every now and then I'll stumble across something that hits me in the gut and I'm buzzing for hours. Gut plays a big part in my appreciation of music. I've never been the sort of technically minded person that can admire production values (though I can pick out a Spector tunes at forty paces). I can't describe music very well, I barely know a 303 from an 808, but when I hear something I like it gives me a jolt and a rush of joy, that's quite similar to a mild drug rush. I get excited (you get excited too).

Here's a couple that have stoked me in the past few days. They all differ in style, but they share one constant and that is that they grabbed me first time and stayed with me.

Enjoy

Awesome New Republic - 'Birthday'

Awesome New Republic - 'Magic City'

DIM - 'Lyposuct (Set Rip)'

Paul Oakenfold - 'Perfecto Vegas (Teaser Mix)'

No comments:

Post a Comment